Wednesday, January 25, 2012

# 14 Yvette

2012 so far has been an amazing year for Mayet Graphics and for me. I know I haven't posted and I am sorry for that. Things have been a little hectic, but enough about that. Mayet Graphics has acquired two new clients. I am so excited.

The first new client, my cousin Yvette Adams. She is from Arizona. Over the last few years, I feel we have grown a little closer; this has been made easier with Facebook. I got a call from her recently wanting me to design her demo cd cover. I couldn't be more excited about being a part of this. One reason is that I love that she is following her dreams no matter how big or small they are. So proud of her. Secondly, I love music and hope that one day I could be a part of that world from a behind the scenes stand point.


The photo to left is Yvette; I ask my clients to give me a story about themselves to feature them on this blog as well as on the Facebook page. She did something a little more creative. She wrote the story from a journalistic point of view. 

The moment Yvette Adams hits that first note, you know she was born to sing. Not only does her voice have a soulful quality that has often times been compared to Adele, but the passion she exudes for performing far exceeds her enchanting voice. 

Yvette was born and raised in Arizona. She got involved in acting and musical theater at a young age performing in many local musical theater productions. As she got older, she continued participating in theater. Her sultry voice and sex appeal on stage got her cast as Rizzo in her high school's production of "Grease" and as Kate in "The Wild Party" while attending the University of Arizona. 
Outside of the theater, Yvette discovered the indie music scene,

"I used to go to shows with my friends almost every weekend. There were all these unknown local bands that would play at tiny little venues and we were only 13 or 14 so we'd get our mom's to drive us. We thought we were so cool. At the time I didn't know it, but I think it was kind of my training ground. Watching all those bands perform, I learned what to do, what not to do, what sounded good and what made people walk out of a room."

Once in college Yvette explored other areas of interest, such as French, astronomy and creative writing.

"I was voted most likely to be on Broadway my senior year of high school. It was awesome to get noticed for my talent, but at the same time it didn't feel right. I felt burnt out so I tried, desperately, to find something else to do with my life."

She was unsuccessful. So in the spring of her freshman year of college she auditioned for the Musical Theater Program and made it. It was a very competitive program that required an audition at the end of each year to remain in the program. 

"I learned so much about acting, singing, my body, myself. However, the program was very intense, and the stress weighed on me. The program was structured in a way that it made me second guess everything I did. I over analyzed my acting, my singing, so much so that I started to believe I wasn't good enough."

Yvette was cut from the program after her first year.

"It was a blow. A big one. Somewhere deep down I knew I was talented, but being cut made me second guess my dreams. My worst fear came true, I wasn't good enough. That's when I started writing music. I was depressed, but I was also angry. How dare these people tell me I wasn't good enough? That I couldn't follow my dreams? I decided I would do it on my own terms, sing my own songs, use my own words. That's when music really came alive to me, when I stopped telling the world someone else's story and started sharing my own."

Ever since, Yvette has been writing and singing her own music. She completed her first music video in August 2011 for the song "Your Eyes" and is currently working on completing a demo album, which when finished, will be put on itunes as well as her website.

I couldn't be more happier and prouder of her. Good Luck Yvette!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment